No secrets here I’ll give you all the details!
Links to How-to blogs --->
Real flowers almost didn’t even cross my mind. If there was a way I could use my talent to save money and get something unique and of my design I was going to do that.
Thanks to the wonderful world of Pinterest and my wonderful family this was all possible and simple….well sort of…
Simple in the fact that these 2 DIY blogs with templates and instructions made the roses easy to create, even for my non-artistic hubby! Not so simple in the fact that I wanted 300 large ones and 200 small ones and since I was busy DIY-ing just about everything else….
My family and friends did all the tedious tasks to keep me afloat and not freaking out. Grandma was like a flower cutting machine! I’m not sure how she even cut those so fast… got to love grandmas (but mine is especially cool) Then Reakel, (Dark hair-bridesmaid-sister-in-law to be) just took over curling each petal, assembling, and more this girl was a HUGE help and I am sooo thankful for her. Even my Mom-Inlaw and Husband got in on the flower making. Charity(reddish hair –bridesmaid-church friend) even assembled a girls night with friends and we all worked worked worked.
By the time the flowers got to me all I had to do was spray on the color and dip them in wax….and I even managed to get my sister and brother to help with that!
Some Things for the DIY-er to know!
For my bouquet I mixed hobby lobby fake flowers, with paper flowers, with handmade clay succulents.
The paper was white and at the very end airbrushed.
For the centerpieces I also got some preserved foliage from SaveOnCrafts to fill the vases more.
Thicker the paper better it will hold the curl, but too thick is hard to cut!
To save time none of the flowers have leaves, instead I just painted on some green “leaves” to the back of the flowers.
These are Waxed dipped for a soft satin finish
Make sure everything is secure! I thought since I would be holding the bouquet that I can just make sure things stay how they should. However it did get passed around and turned upside down and what wasn’t secure did end up falling apart.
DO NOT Leave your fake flowers outside or bugs of all kinds may think they are real….and decide to pop out at you when you pick them up.
Now what I did with those flowers.
The most challenging was my bouquet. I took it apart about 3 different times till I got the shape I wanted. The hard part was not adding to many leaves (to avoid the green) and get the cascading bouquet look. The middle of this thing is a mess of wire and tape. O and yes that is a giant pencil I used for my stem. I loved the look but I will admit my wire tape and hot glue did not hold up well. The pencil ended up breaking off half way through the night. I was able to hold them together for the rest of the pictures but sadly after the break my cute holder I made for it was pointless and left empty.
***Tip: make your base extremely secure before proceeding to placing the flowers. even a foam ball painted dark green would have worked better than my wire tape and glue mix.
I made the boutonnieres too, those were pretty simple and the corsages for the mothers were also simple to assemble.
I took some of the large flowers, glued them to stems (aka painted skewers) and placed them down the walkway, all for one shot (below) and as much as I love this picture I will admit my time and budget made this nice but not amazing... I’m a critic but the stems were to long, foliage was not full enough, and more flowers would have been awesome. I'm always looking for how to improve my work, it's just how I’m wired. In the end, on my wedding day I could have cared less about what could have been better I was just happy it was finally my wedding day.
Lastly I took the large flowers again and glued them to the top of the personalized jones bottles Chris proposed to me with. More about this table will be on the "all the details" blog.
Professional Photos are by James Tang